torsdag 12. februar 2009

My hometown

My Hometown

I’ve finally managed to write a post about where I live. I live in Bærum, a municipality in Norway and a suburb of Oslo. I’ve lived here all my life - and I really like it here – can’t imagine living somewhere else.
Some quick facts:
• The total area of Bærum is 191,3 square kilometres, including 2,9 square kilometres of lakes and rivers, 16,7 square kilometres off arming land, and 107,5 square kilometres of forest.
• The population is approximately 107 000 (2008).
• Bærum is situated in the county of Akershus, 15 kilometers and 15 minutes south-west of Oslo.

Bærum do have it all: the best cinema in Europe, the biggest mall in the Scandinavia, the most educated population in Europe, the best schools in the entire country and of course a beautiful countryside.
Located to the west of Oslo (the capital in Norway), Bærum is a part of “Stor-Oslo”, in English: “Big-Oslo”. Bærum is believed to be the wealthiest municipality in Norway, the average income here is USD 76 000 $, and the houses here are often referred to as upper class. This is what I don’t like about Bærum, it is way too expensive (Medium Big Mac Menu: 7-8USD) and our exaggerated consumption makes me kind of sick. I believe that we instead of using so many resources on new cars and expensive fashion clothes should use our highly educated citizens to follow Mr. Gore’s example and be good role models.

But as I said: I love it here.

1 kommentar:

Håkon sa...

Nice topic, Mr. Andresen.

As you said: You love it here. - I could not be more agree.

If I hadn't lived in Bærum, I'd probably never bought my BMW. Yay to "exaggerated consumption"!

For the record:
I don't think the BigMacs are any cheaper elsewhere in Norway. However I do like the idea of supersize meals for 2-3 USD.

Yours Truly,
Håkon